The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

What is semi-formal?

It is almost time for the second annual Winter Ball, which requires semi-formal dress. Semi-formal has become a somewhat vague term, indicating a clothing that is somewhere between that of the Howdy dance and Prom. To help students decide what to wear, Senior Class Sponsor Elizabeth Silver and teacher Kelli Taylor gave their views on acceptable semi-formal attire.

Taylor recommended that males avoid ransacking their fathers’ closets for semi-formal wear because it often looks too old on them. She said that Dad’s suits are ill-fitting, and the ties are just boring. Instead, Taylor suggested that males have fun with their clothes, wearing ties that are brightly colored, interestingly patterned and/or thinner than those worn by Dad. Taylor also praised bow ties, as long as they are not clip-ons.

Silver said that men should wear a nice pair of pants, like slacks, but denim pants are also acceptable as long as the pants are very dark and new. Males should wear a button up shirt, possibly with a vest or sweater. Ties and jackets, Silver said, are optional. Women should wear a shorter length dress, preferably not strapless, because “that’s too much work.” Silver suggested that girls wear dresses that will look cute with a sweater or jacket, and possibly some fun hosiery.  Hats are also fine, for both males and females.

No matter what you wear, just remember that this dance is supposed to be fun, and less fussy than prom. As Silver said, “Semi-formal is supposed to be easier.”

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Marionette
$585
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Harding Charter Preparatory High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.