The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Harding students compete in the Ebony Awareness Bowl

Three Harding students participated in the Ebony Awareness Bowl on January 19.

Sophomore Jessica Adkins is on Greater Mount Olive Baptist Church’s team, which won.  Adkins said that she has participated in the Ebony Awareness Bowl, a contest where church teams compete to answer questions about black history, for two years.

“You learn black history facts and battle with other churches in the East side district,” Adkins said.

Adkins said that she prepared for the bowl by studying a booklet full of black history facts, and then practicing with her teammates on Sundays and Wednesdays a few months before the contest. The team also did mock trials. Adkins said that preparing for the Ebony Bowl has helped her with study skills for school.

“I only know a few things about my history, so that helps me learn more. Those are facts that never leave my head,” Adkins said.

Sophomore Tyra Owens is also on the Greater Mount Olive team. She said that participating in activities like the Ebony Bowl is important because it lets people “learn about past black history.”

Junior Tyrius Johnson participated with Tabernacle Baptist Church’s team, which came in second place. He found studying for the contest difficult, as he had to balance it with schoolwork and basketball practice.

“I had to come in after basketball practice and study, then go home, [do] homework and study at the same time,” Johnson said.

Johnson said that it is important to be involved in activities that let people learn about their history.

“I learned a lot of stuff that I didn’t even know about,” Johnson said.

All three students enjoyed the Ebony Awareness Bowl and plan on participating in the future.

“It’s a fun experience,” Adkins said. “And it’s rewarding at the end of the day.”

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Marionette
$585
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Harding Charter Preparatory High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.