Clubs kick into gear

Camila Gonzalez, Reporter

If you have found yourself without an abundance of homework or social interaction, HCP offers several clubs that can fill up your calendar and keep you off Snapchat.

GAY STRAIGHT ALLIANCE

Everyone needs a place to feel accepted, no matter their sexuality. The Gay-Straight Alliance may be the place to go for discussion and understanding.

The club was founded by senior CJ Koso and sophomore Nik Dawson. Dawson said, “Harding, for many, was a good place to be outside of home. Something I and many others needed was a place for opinions and identities to be heard and respected. I noticed a huge LGBTQ and ally population and thought, ‘this is what we need.'”

Club leader and junior James Wood says, “Our goal in GSA is to provide a safe environment for all HCP students by focusing on equality and other social issues.” But non-LGBTQ students should remember the S in GSA. Wood adds, “We also highly encourage all students not in the LGBT spectrum to join in and participate in our cause.” The club meets on Tuesdays from 3-4 in Josh Higginbotham’s room in the cafeteria.

WORLD LANGUAGE CLUB

If you want to travel the world without leaving your desk, World Language Club is the place for you.

“The goal of World Language Club is to get students to take foreign languages more seriously, to increase cultural sensitivity in the school, and to learn languages not taught by the curriculum,” said president Samaiyah Harpe.

The club meets in Allison Stroud’s room and the day and the next meeting is Thursday, September 24.

CALISTHENICS CLUB

Calisthenics club was created two years ago by William Mlekush. Originally sponsored by Ryan Deprez, it is now co-sponsored by Kyle Malzahn and Alexandria Strukoff. The goal of this club is to increase fitness and health through body-weight workouts such as: pull-ups, push-ups and squats. The club meets every day at the bars on the field.

PING PONG CLUB

Ping Pong club, created this year by Calvin White and Ryan Choi, offers a place to develop skills and have fun playing ping pong. Meetings are on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This club is sponsored by Tom Kindinger.

KEY CLUB

The improved Key Club is growing, with Margaret Hensley making changes in order to improve the club as a whole.

Last year, Key Club took a wrong turn and wasn’t very organized but this has changed according to Mrs. Hensley. Currently, the club is electing new officers. Hensley plans to make the requirements for officers more strict and ordered. There will be officer meetings and if some one fails to go, they will be replaced.

This change will improve Key Club as a whole and create a stronger back bone for the upcoming year.

“Key Club is about educating youth and providing volunteer opportunities to improve our community,” Hensley said. So go join! It provides community service hours and gets you involved within the community. The club dues are $15 and meets up every other Tuesday in the Cafeteria at 3:10.

SCI FI CLUB

Sci-Fi club is one of HCP’s largest clubs. President Alexandria Strain has planned great things for the club to start out a new year.

Strain plans on the club to have fewer movie days and more days to actually interact with the member’s interests. She intends to have more fandom wars, games and parties. The fandom wars range from Pokemon v.s. Digimon, Marvel v.s. DC and many more things that people are interested in. Strain also takes movie suggestions, only relating to the Science Fiction genre and the parties consist of movies, food, games and just a time to hang out and get to know each other.

Strain’s mission for the club is to “conquer the world and have fun with it.” She plans on making it an enjoyable experience where students can get to know each other and interact with each other’s interests.

The club meets on Fridays from 3:10-4:30 in the Media Center and is sponsored by Michael Ferguson. Go and enjoy the activities and conquer the world one fandom war at a time.

This is by no means a complete list, so if you are a club sponsor or leader, please contact us with your club’s information.