Honor programs bring new opportunities

Jennifer Gillis

Harding Charter Prep choir preforming at the COCDA clinic

Miranda Rodriguez, Managing Editor

Harding orchestra and choir students recently were accepted into state-wide honor programs.  

The choir program is known as Central Oklahoma Choir Directors Association, or COCDA. Senior Ella Rowe, juniors Andrew Onema and Ian Walker, and freshman Oliver Etherington auditioned in late September after working with vocal music director Dr. Jennifer Gillis. Rowe is an Alto 1, Onema is a Tenor 2, Walker is a Bass 1, and Etherington is a Bass 1. 

COCDA is a city-wide choir program based in the Oklahoma City metro area. It is made up of choir directors who focus on their student’s choir experience and can help them for state choir auditions. The first clinic was held Nov. 1. 

“I work with Dr. Gillis after school almost every day on the music for COCDA, All-State, Jazz Honor Choir, and my college auditions,” said Rowe. 

These programs will bring great opportunities for the students to further improve their talents and can get them well deserved recognition. 

The orchestra program is known as North Central Honor Orchestra. NCHO is an honor orchestra for students in grade 7-12 based in North Central Oklahoma and includes all Oklahoma City metro-area orchestra programs. They will meet the weekend before Thanksgiving for a clinic and a concert at OCU. 

Junior Grace Slovak and freshman Benjamin Peters have been working with their instructors to work on the necessary skills needed for their auditions. Slovak earned 10th chair 1st violin and Peters earned 13th chair cello. 

“I am hoping to meet other violinists and further hone my orchestra skills,” Slovak said