September Awesome Eagles announced

(left to right) Principal Justin Hunt, Mackenzie Sloan, Jennifer Rodriguez, Hannah Mitchell, and Sailor Whitbeck smile with their rewards.

Isis Frazier, Reporter

Students at HCP are recognized for doing certain things that are helpful to the school or the people around them.

Each month, a student from each class is selected. For the month of September, senior Mackenzie Sloan, junior Hannah Mitchell, sophomore Jennifer Rodriguez and freshman Sailor Whitbeck were selected as Awesome Eagles.

“It’s a way to recognize students that do good things that get overlooked,” said Principal Justin Hunt. “Not all of our students are superior academically or superior in athletic activities so it’s a way to get everyone a little recognition for good things that are done in this school.”

Students are sometimes nominated for achieving high standards, which is the case for Mitchell.

“I got it my freshman year, too, so I wasn’t too surprised, honestly. I got nominated this year for being a good leader and bettering my knowledge of the music we were preparing for All-State,” Mitchell said.

Others are nominated for simple things they do that help out the faculty.

“I was confused when I found out because I didn’t know what I was nominated for,” Sloan said. “Well, I do now. What was it? I killed a cockroach.”

Whatever they were recognized for, the students say they feel good about having the title of an Awesome Eagle.

“This group is good. It’s all female, which throws a challenge out there to the males. Generally I have mostly females, if not all female, Awesome Eagles,” Hunt said. “I always enjoy the seniors of course, because it’s always someone that has been waiting for four years and generally it’s somebody that has come a long way, has done a great job and is a great leader.”

Awesome Eagles receive a t-shirt, a free clothes day and lunch with the principal.

“This is a great group, and hopefully there will be more to come,” Hunt said.