Students earn spots in prestigious honor band

Isis Frazier, Reporter

The results are in: Seniors Allegra Knight and Mitchel Williams earned spots in the CODA Regional Honor Band. Knight will play second chair oboe for the Wind Ensemble, and Williams will play third chair bass clarinet for the Symphonic Band. This is the first year that Harding has had two students that have made it into CODA.

“It’s really hard to get into CODA. Really hard. There are over 100 flutes that audition and then they pick 12, for example,” said band director, Kelli Taylor.

Knight has been in CODA each year since her freshman year.

“It feels really good because I worked really hard with the music and I really enjoyed it last year and it will be nice to make new friends and see the people from last year,” Knight said.

Williams has been playing bass clarinet for six years. Last year, Williams earned an alternate spot for CODA.

“I feel accomplished being in CODA because of all the work I’ve put into being a musician is now paying off,” Williams said.

Both Williams and Knight were not too nervous about auditions.

“I actually got the most nervous during my All-State auditions because I didn’t want someone I knew listening to me,” Williams said.

“I used to be more nervous but I’ve done so many auditions that it’s not as nerve-racking anymore. It’s better when you don’t see the judges because they’ll scare you and there’s a screen so it’s like you’re playing by yourself so it’s not as scary,” Knight said.

There are many students that go to CODA from all over central Oklahoma which gives them opportunities to meet other players.

“They’re really good people there and I get to meet other oboists. There are not any other oboists at Harding so it’s nice to meet other people who play oboe,” Knight said.

In January, the students get together for a clinic and work with a conductor for more than 10 hours over a period of two days. After all that rehearsing, the groups put on a concert, showing off their hard work. The Wind Ensemble clinician this year is Steven Davis of the University of Missouri Kansas City, and the Symphonic Band clinician is Marc Mueller from Southwestern Oklahoma State University.

Students that audition are required to be academically eligible, play two practice pieces called etudes, scales and then be able to sight read.