January Awesome Eagles announced

(Left to right) Sophomore Samuel Salewon, senior Yasmine Wilson, junior Heidi Rivera, freshman Gabriel Tran and Principal Justin Hunt show off their awards.

Isis Frazier, Reporter

Each month, students from every grade level are recognized for certain things that they do around the school unrelated to academic or athletic achievements.

Freshman Gabriel Tran, sophomore Samuel Salewon, junior Heidi Rivera and senior Yasmine Wilson were selected as the Awesome Eagles for the month of January.

Many of the chosen Awesome Eagles are recognized for helping others around the school, like Rivera.

“Helping comes naturally to me. I don’t mind lending a hand when needed,” Rivera said.

Teachers submit nomination forms for students that display random acts of kindness and they are then voted for in a meeting.

“There were a couple of students that I was glad to see picked because they don’t get recognized for a lot of things,” said principal Justin Hunt. “It was great to see the light flash in their eyes because they were being recognized for something.”

The selected Awesome Eagles receive a free t-shirt, an out of uniform day and lunch with Hunt.

“It’s cool because I’ve never gotten it before,” said senior Yasmine Wilson about being chosen as Awesome Eagle. “It feels really good to be acknowledged for something for once.”