Connecting humanity through literature

Kasey Dearman helps her students as they complete an assignment,.

Isis Frazier, Reporter

For some, dreams do come true. Kasey Dearman wanted to be a teacher at Harding more than anything. In August, her dream became a reality.

“Harding was my number one choice of school,” Dearman said.

Dearman was welcomed by the staff as she joined them as the sophomore English teacher.

“Everyone is friendly and welcoming,” she said. “I have been greatly impressed by their knowledge and generosity.”

English and literature have always been passions for Dearman.

“Literature has a unique ability to connect humanity across space and time,” she said.

She wanted to apply this idea to teaching because she wanted to lead students down a path so they could recognize and reach their full potential.

“The students are hardworking and fun. They are amazing kids who know their self-worth and desire to achieve at high levels,” she said.

Harding was Dearman’s first choice of school because of the rigorous environment.

“I love Harding,” Dearman said. “I wanted to be in a rich academic environment that saw its students’ potential and pushed them to achieve it.”

The liberal arts also guided Dearman to become an English teacher. She identifies the liberal arts as another of her passions.

“I am passionate about liberal arts in general and believe a well-rounded education must be rich in the liberal arts,” Dearman said.

Dearman received her higher education from the University of Central Oklahoma where she majored in English education. She grew up in Edmond but during her teen years, she moved to Harrah, OK and graduated from high school there.

At home, Dearman enjoys being outside, baking and she is also very enthusiastic about college football.

Dearman loves to spend time with her husband and their dog, Hamlet. She and her husband are expecting their first baby in December, whom they plan to name Lincoln.

“My husband Brian and I are still amazed that we have been blessed with a son. We cannot wait for the road ahead.”