Down the yellow brick road

Alice Bennett, Reporter

From cop comedies to the violence brought on by police brutality, the drama department has explored a wide range of emotions. This fall, the department is switching gears with “Oz,” a modern twist on the movie “Wizard of Oz.”

Beth, played by Alisha Hemani, knows about the movie and what’s going to happen. Beth will have to traverse through Oz after a terrible accident all the while trying to play along. However, not everything is as it seems — the characters don’t exactly follow their script.

Hilarious and yet heartwarming, the 50 minute one-act play is “90 percent comedy and 10 percent drama.”

In previous years drama teacher Michael Ferguson has “always pushed a message.” This time Ferguson said he is focusing on entertainment.

Ferguson said he wants to focus more on what will make the students laugh. This play is more student-centered, not only in the audience but those who actually participate in the play. The actors are allowed to control their costumes to a certain degree and have more input than previous years over what they want to do and how they want to do it. With lots of excitement between the cast and crew, the play is shaping up to be unique and hilarious and sure to bring in lots of laughs.

The play will take place on Friday, Oct. 27 during school and the evening of Saturday, Oct. 28. Open to all, the play will cost $3 for students and $5 for adults.

Costumes are encouraged for the Saturday night screening of the play. While Ferguson said that “Wizard of Oz” themed costumes are preferred, any and all costumes are encouraged to cultivate the Halloween spirit.