The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Students celebrate Black history, culture with assembly

A group of seniors responds back to a member of Poetry and Chill during the BSU assembly.

Black History Month was created to focus attention on all the amazing African American contributions to the United States.  

HCP held the annual Black History Month Assembly on Feb.23 to show appreciation to the Black community. 

There were many performances from many of our own HCP eagles and even a special performance by Poetry and Chill. 

The first performance was from sophomore, Solange Coly. Coly sang “Life Every Voice and Sing” by James Weldon Johnson, which is more commonly known as the “Black National Anthem.”

English teacher David Walsh then performed his poem “I Wish”. 

“I wanted to lament some past events, celebrate some, and exhort the audience to respect diversity, equality, and inclusion,” Walsh said. “I hope I got that across.” 

The next performance was by HCP’s cheer team. 

“I really enjoyed the performance,” said cheer co-captain MaKayla Coles. “This year’s cheer team is really good about being able to hype up the student body, and they definitely accomplished that with the cheer and dance.” 

The Black Student Union members then played a game inspired by “Hot Ones.” Students from each grade were picked to answer questions relating to Black culture. If they gave a wrong answer, they had to eat a hot wing.  

The last performance featured special guests Poetry and Chill. The whole gymnasium was hyped with excitement as the group rapped, played drums and got into the performance.

“I really enjoyed the performance and how interactive they were with the crowd,” said sophomore Mariah Henderson. “The drummer was probably my favorite part.”