The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

News staff recognized at state convention

Kelli Taylor
Front Row; Adrianna Hill, Hannah Tichenor, Becca Jolly Back Row: Davis Cline, Ajax Buxton, Miranda Rodriguez, Camila Noyola

Students on the Marionette news staff recently attended the Spring Media Day at the University of Oklahoma to attend educational sessions and an awards ceremony for the work completed throughout the year.

There are classes on “How to Write Quality Articles,” “Wanna be a TV Producer?,” and “Reimagining High School Sports Coverage.” Each session was 55 minutes and the staff members got to pick which session they wanted to attend to better help their articles. 

“The session I liked most was the Editorial and Adviser Leadership and Communication, which was session was given by Yukon High School and Edmond Santa Fe High School and their staff,” said sophomore Adrianna Hill. “I learned that it’s good to communicate with other staff members and to write out of your comfort zone.”  

The awards were divided into divisions, with the Marionette staff being in Division III. Sophomore Ajax Buxton received 1st for his movie review, Top 5 Holiday Horror Films and junior Hannah Tichenor placed 1st for her news article on HICD community advocates against county jail building proposal. Junior Becca Jolly placed 3rd for ‘Disconnected’ at the 5 Seconds of Summer show. Junior Miranda Rodriguez earned an honorable mention for her article We need age limits.  The Online News staff received an award of the Highest Honors for their overall work for the year.

If you’re interested in joining Online News, email Kelli Taylor at [email protected].