November accolades

Staff, Reporter

The Marionette would like to recognize some of the awesome achievements happening around the school this November.

Band

The following students auditioned for and earned spots in the OKC All City Honor Band: Claire Widmer, 3rd chair clarinet; Joseph LaSala, 1st chair trumpet; Daniel Heckman, 3rd chair trumpet; Amoree Wagner, 2nd chair trombone; Peyton Dow, 2nd chair percussion. Dow is the first percussion student to audition for and earn a spot in an honor band. Congratulations to all! These students will perform with the All City Honor Band in the middle of January with students from all over the Oklahoma City area.

Vocal Music

Seniors Kennedy Franklin and Hannah Mitchell both earned spots in the Oklahoma Music Educator’s Association All State Choir. This is the first time in school history that a vocal music student has earned a spot in the All State choir. Franklin will sing alto II and Mitchell will sing soprano I. Only 200 women are chosen for the choir statewide. Congratulations, ladies! They will perform at the OMEA convention in late January.

Speech and Debate

The speech and debate team represented well at the Southmoore S’Moore Tournament this weekend. Bobby Walters placed 3rd in Foreign Extemporaneous Speaking, Mitchell Williams placed 4th in Domestic Extemporaneous Speaking, and Avery Roselle placed 3rd in Monologue. All three students qualified for the Regional tournament in these events. Way to go!

Academic Team

The academic team competed at the OSSAA Regional Tournament this weekend and placed 2nd in the Region! The team included just three members: Martin Alba, Jacob Lange and Mackenzie Williams. Other teams had at least four members competing at all times, so the HCP team was at a numerical disadvantage but they persevered through it. Congrats to all!

STUCO

The STUCO put on a fantastic Veterans Day assembly on Friday, November 13. Thank you for recognizing HCP veterans, as well as all veterans. Also, thank you to the choir and band for performing for the assembly.

NHS Can Drive

The can drive wrapped up last week with a huge uptick in donations from last year. The 2014 can drive brought in around 1,000 cans for the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma. The 2015 can drive brought in 4,250 cans! The sophomore class brought in the most cans and will receive a free clothes day on December 2 for their hard work. Four advisory classes earned a root beer float party for raising the most within their grade. Way to go, Eagles! You made a huge difference in a lot of lives for the holiday season. Thank you, NHS, for hosting the can drive!