Top 10 Best Singles of 2015

Camila Gonzalez, Reporter

The pop charts weren’t very interesting in 2015. I couldn’t love or hate most of the hits we had. There were lots of ballads and songs about sad things and uninteresting things. So, instead of making a list of the best hits because I’d just be praising songs that don’t really deserve it, I decided to do things differently. As I was figuring out my list, I realized that the top three songs I’d chosen weren’t charting songs, and I want to give credit where credit is due. This means any song that was released as a promotional single for its album that has a music video could make this list, regardless of commercial success. To make things a little easier and in light of last year’s Sam Smith triple feature, each artist can only hold one spot on the list.

#10: Magnets – Disclosure feat. Lorde

I didn’t listen to a ton of electronic music this year, but I can still tell that this song was a little darker than other songs from its genre. Most of this can be credited to Lorde’s naturally haunting vocals. I’m happy to hear this kind of song from her because after her debut, I’m definitely a fan. One of my favorite lyrics of the year came from this song: “Pretty girls don’t know the things that I know.” It’s also good to hear from Disclosure after their appearance on last year’s list. “Omen,” their bigger single this year, is also impressive. But I can’t help comparing it to “Latch,” their other Sam Smith collaboration, and “Latch” will always beat it out so I didn’t feel right putting it on the list.

#9: Style – Talor Swift

I really don’t want to like this song. I originally put it in the tenth spot, but I was lying to myself. I really like this. Swift’s vocals have annoyed me lately, but she’s actually singing in this song, so that’s an improvement. The music is also good. I loved the lyrics of last year’s “Blank Space,” but the beat barely existed. This song, on the other hand, has better instrumentation. Even though the lyrics aren’t as good as “Blank Space,” they’re still pretty good. I don’t know what a “James Dean daydream look” is, but I’m too busy singing along to care. The chorus is definitely the best part of this track, which is a jackpot for a pop song. It’s good that this exists.

#8: Throne – Bring Me The Horizon

The best thing about this song is its raw power. I usually don’t listen to the lyrics because I’m distracted by the killer drums and gruff vocals. But it seems like it’s about overcoming obstacles and realizing that hardship will help you come out on top at the end. This is the kind of song I want to hear in a stadium. It’s the kind of thing that would pump up the crowd before the World Cup. It grabs you and doesn’t let go. Then you’re left headbanging and screaming along.

#7: Gibberish – MAX feat. Hoodie Allen

This song brings spectacular vocals together with a beat that forces you to dance, or at least sway or tap your feet. At least it forces me to do it. Listen to this and try not to move throughout the whole track. I’m pretty sure it’s impossible. YouTube musician MAX brought his A-game with tight production and his powerful, belting voice. I hadn’t listened to him before this song, but I definitely will now.

#6: Lydia – Highly Suspect

There are certain words that become overused in our language to the point where they’re true meaning practically disappears. For example, when I say that “Lydia” is epic, you think about that sandwich you ate last week because that sandwich was epic. But I’m talking about the actual meaning of epic. It’s powerful, monumental, and not only commands but deserves your attention. Once you know the chorus, you’ll be screaming along. I checked out this band’s full album from this year and all their songs have that same gusto that I’m honestly in love with.

#5: Coffee – Miguel

This song puts me in a sort of trance. I’d heard of Miguel before but I’d never actually checked him out until I found this song on YouTube. It’s chill and distinct. And there’s something I love about the lyric, “old souls found a new religion.” Something sounds really cool about that. I need to listen to more of his music because this song truly impressed me.

#4: Love Me – The 1975

I love this song for so many reasons. I love The 1975 and everything I’ve heard from them. I love the 80’s levels of androgyny in the music video. I love that this sounds like a tribute to David Bowie circa “Fame.” I love the lyric, “you look famous, let’s be friends.” I love every instrumental component. Maybe it’s the power of the song’s title, but I love it.

#3: Love Me Like You Do/On My Mind – Ellie Goulding

I couldn’t decide. I love Ellie Goulding. “Love Me Like You Do” is a dignified synthpop track made for the undignified “Fifty Shades of Grey” soundtrack. But if that movie led to the creation of this song, then its existence is more than justified. In fact, its far too good for this movie, which seems to be more about emotional manipulation than love. But this track is the kind of elegant awesomeness I’ve come to expect from Goulding and I wouldn’t change a thing about it. “On My Mind” is one of the catchiest songs I’ve heard this year. It has a great groove and sounds a bit more mature than her other songs. I’m just speculating and didn’t feel like looking for evidence to back this up, but I think this might be a response to Ed Sheeran’s “Don’t,” written about Goulding. Both songs talk about being in a hotel and sort of being in a relationship but sort of not being in a relationship. She even says, “You don’t mess with love, you mess with the truth.” And “Don’t” contains the lyric, “don’t mess with my love.” It may not be true, but it’s a reasonable guess. Theories aside, I could listen to this song on a loop for a long time.

#2: Hallelujah – Panic! at the Disco

I’ve loved Panic! at the Disco for about a decade. They’ve changed so much throughout the years, but never for the worse. This song makes me happy. Whenever I was sad throughout the year, I would listen to this song and it brought up my spirits. It projects victory and joy for the listener.

Honorable Mentions:

Entropy – The Bleachers feat. Grimes

I haven’t had much experience with either of these artists, but I like what I’ve heard from both of them. This is a great collaboration. Grimes’ sweet vocals complement the lovely instrumental. The lyrics sound sad but the sound makes me happy, so I don’t really know how you’re supposed to feel while listening to this track. But it’s chill, simple, and pretty. I’d like to see more collaborations between these artists.

King – Years & Years

I discovered this song early in the year, and it still hasn’t worn out its welcome. And it’ll be a very long time before it does. The production is audio happiness and the vocals make me want to go on an adventure with the singer. This track is uplifting and beautiful, putting a smile on my face when I belt out the chorus. I hope these guys stick around for awhile.

Something Divine – NYVES

This track would win the award for being the most atmospheric song of the year. It exists in its own world with its own oxygen and its own musicality. I can only describe it with oxymorons. It’s comfortably intense. It’s quietly powerful. It’s……..something divine. That was terrible. I’m sorry.

The Hills – The Weeknd

The Weeknd put a bad taste in my mouth for most of the year. I just didn’t understand the hype. The first time I listened to “The Hills” I didn’t like it because of the vocals in the verses. But then I listened to it again. And again. And again. And I realized that his croaky squeaks did fit the dark tone of the song and led to a haunting chorus with a strange power. I was honestly relieved when I liked this song because I was worried his fans would attack me if I said that I completely hated him.

#1: Stressed Out – Twenty One Pilots

I knew from the first time I heard this song that it would top my list. It doesn’t sound like anything I’ve heard before, which could describe most songs by this Ohio duo. It talks about the pressures of growing up with fitting lyrics like, “out of student loans and tree house homes we all would take the latter.” This band is the reason for my “one song per artist” rule because if not for that about half the list would have been Twenty One Pilots singles. It was a bit difficult picking this one out of the pack, but the meaning of this song and its context at this point in my life resonated with me too much for it to have any other place on the list. This is one of my favorite bands and this is one of their best songs.