Track makes school history at beginning of season

Hannah Malzahn, Reporter

The track team has had a great start to their season. Coach Joe Hughes is pleased with how the team has performed so far.

The girls have made school history by winning the first-ever team title for Harding at their first indoor meet in Enid in February.

The most recent meet was at Bishop McGuinness where the girls placed 3rd.

“I think for the first outdoor meet we had a really great outcome,” Hughes said.

Sophomore Jysmone Johnson was also happy with how the girls performed at the meet.

“I think we did pretty good,” Johnson said. “I think we just need to work on speed and working together as a team and trusting each other so that we can maybe win again.”

Hughes also agrees with Johnson for the areas of improvement.

“I just think working harder and knowing that the end goal is state, so that we can be more competitive on the track,” Hughes said.

Junior Shaun Johnson is also pleased with how the team is performing at this point in the season.

“I think that we are doing well for where we are right now,” Johnson said. “I believe that getting more practice and involvement with the student body, we could get much better.”

Johnson also sees the team improving and having even more success in the future.

“We need more participation,” Johnson said. “More people and more dedication to practice and track meets themselves would help us improve.”

Hughes is pleased with all of the runners, and a few athletes have really stood out.

“For the longer distances (senior) Allegra Knight and (junior) Daniel Heckman stand out,” Hughes said.

“For the sprinters on the girl’s team (senior) Aneesha Moore, (senior) Relicia Morrison, (sophomore) Meiana Lemons, and (sophomore) Jysmone Johnson have stood out,” Hughes said. “And for the boys sprinters (junior) Shaun Johnson and (junior) Earl Davis-Long have stood out so far.”

The next track meet is April 7 at Ponca City.