Eagles take on the Firehawks

Isis Frazier, Reporter

After a weak start, the girls basketball team was able to pull a win against the Harding Fine Arts Firehawks.

The girls bounced back from previous losses, winning 61-30 with sophomore Rachel Newman leading the team with 19 points.

Recent losses against Wister Wildcats and the Oklahoma City Knights didn’t stop the Eagles from pushing for a win.

“The win was a good chance for the team to gain some confidence after some tough losses,” Newman said.

As the only senior on the boys team, Anselm Uzuegbunem led the team with 28 points and was also named Player of the Game by MaxPreps.

“I feel honored. It was much appreciated,” said Uzuegbunem. “My teammates helped me and God blessed me. My teammates always put me in the position to be successful.”

Uzuegbunem also describes his role on the court as “helping his team defend and to put them in the position to always win”, showing that the team mutually helps one another to win.

As for the girls team, they only wish for confidence and to improve to make the season successful.

“I just want to be confident in myself during games,” said freshman Vanessa Rodriguez.

The boys dominated Harding Fine Arts 85-39 and hope to continue their streak throughout the rest of the season.

“Our goal is to win the championship ring,” said Uzuegbunem.