Baseball reaches a high point at Douglass

The baseball team gathers together and hopes for a win against Star Spencer.

Kelli Taylor

Isis Frazier, Reporter

The baseball team brought home a win against Douglass with a score of 10-6.

Baseball coach Tres Savage gives credit to juniors Gabriel di Gregorio and Evan Gutel for contributing to the win.

Gabriel di Gregorio is credited as MVP of the game striking out 11 batters as the starting pitcher. He played the entire game, therefore getting the win on the mound.

Savage also gives catcher Evan Gutel credit.

“He caught an important pop up towards the end of the game and he worked really hard all game long with Gabe to keep the team focused and called the right pitches,” said Savage.

The baseball team has had some struggles during the season, especially with nine starting seniors of last year graduating.

“I think we’re doing a lot better than I expected us to,” di Gregorio said. “A lot of the younger guys are learning pretty fast and their fielding skills are improving, their batting skills are improving and it’s really easy to see a difference and a change in that. The season is going a lot better than I expected.”

Coach Savage’s main goal for the team and the rest of the season is for the boys to be at every practice and every game and continue to play hard.

“My goal for anyone on the team is to approach their responsibilities responsibly and professionally outside of a high school perspective and to treat everyone with respect, especially their teammates,” Savage said.

The boys plan on moving forward during the season by maintaining focus and going into the next inning with a new face.

“I think we’ve had our ups and downs, but I think we can overcome them and keep going up with it,” Gutel said.