The start of something new

Junior Dania Kennedy and freshman Isabella DiGregorio watch their teammates play against Union City.

Junior Dania Kennedy and freshman Isabella Di’Gregorio watch their teammates play against Union City.

Paige Langley, Reporter

After the past coaches have left, Coach Renè Crockett has taken the opportunity to take the Eagles under her wing. She has previously coached club teams and plans to bring factors from club into the high school level.

With getting used to the new intensity of the practices to having higher expectations set for the Eagles to achieve, the season was off and the start of games were in full effect.

On Sept. 6, the junior varsity team competed in their first tournament of the season at Destiny Christian School. The JV team includes the players: Anna Serven, Arianna Elise, Brandi Dean, Dania Kennedy, Emily Popiliec, Isabella Di’Gregorio, Lariah Allen, Madeline Cassady, Makiah Henson and Taylor Post.

After ten hours of the team putting in hard work and sweat, they came out with second place overall in the gold bracket of the tournament.

“Although we could have worked harder for first, I think we were all proud of ourselves for placing second,” said team captain Anna Serven.

In past years, the team has done well in this tournament but excelled this year.

“From what I’ve heard from the older girls, the team has really grown this year. Coach Renè has helped us improve and worked on our skills and I think she will continue to do that,” Serven said.

There are only six games left in the season. The Eagles play at home on Sept. 16 against Southeast at 4 p.m.