Swimming to State

Swim team members Grace Ha, Isabella Vega, Faith Morrison, Reyna Sun and Alex Nadjkovic all take a breather while at the State swim meet.

Camryn Anderson, Reporter

The swim team competed in the largest competitions of the year this February at the regional and state swim meets, with a record number swimmers competing.

At Regionals, the swimmers included senior Alex Nadjkovic, sophomore Grace Ha, and freshmen Faith Morrison, Reyna Sun and Isabella Vega.

Nadjkovic competed in the 100 yard backstroke, getting 6th place out of 16. He also competed in the 50 yard freestyle, finishing 4th in his group and 11th overall.

“I was pretty excited to make it this year. Last year I made it, but I didn’t make it far, so I wanted to see how well I’d do given the previous year of training. I was also doing the backstroke fundamentally wrong last year,” Nadjkovic said.

Ha finished 13th overall in the 100 yard butterfly. Sun finished 10th overall in the 100 yard breaststroke.

Ha, Morrison, Sun and Vega all qualified for state after their performance in the girls 200 yard freestyle relay.

“I’m so proud of our relay team, this is my first year swimming with them and our first year having a team because we never had enough people, but we got in,” Ha said.

The team placed 13th out of 18 teams at Regionals. To see the full team results and times, click here: 5A Regional Results.

The team competed at the statewide meet on February 15-16, with the entire team competing at state.

“I wasn’t really expecting to qualify for state because I wasn’t able to practice a lot this year due to homework, but I was still really happy,” Ha said.

“The dynamic was different – no more practice rounds. It was slightly more competitive because this was, like, ‘it’ and everyone was trying to give it their all,” Sun said.

Nadjkovic competed in the 100 yard backstroke, placing 9th overall. “I did much better than last year, on top of technique improvements, and just taking better care of myself this year than last year,” he said.

Sun competed in the 100 yard breaststroke, placing 15th overall. “I think I was tired. I had to swim the relay right before I had to swim the breast,” she said.

Ha, Morrison, Sun and Vega all swam in the girls 200 yard freestyle relay. The team placed 13th overall in the event.

“I felt like I could have done better than what I did, but I was definitely happy and proud because I did work really hard this year,” Ha said.

The girls are really cool and I feel like we work well together. It was nice to be able to compete with them instead of against them,” Sun said.

To see full team results and times click here. 5A State Meet Results.

The team is made up of mostly underclassmen and will return with most of its members next year, with Nadjkovic being the only departing senior.

“I feel like in the grand scheme of things, I’ve only done pretty good. It would be a shame if the team peaked here. We’ve got people with great potential on the team, and hopefully in the new building [we’ll] be able to bring in more freshmen,” Nadjkovic said.