Volleyball season closes with Senior Night

Paola Zapata

Korbin NIda

The senior volleyball team members pose with Principal Joe Hughes and coach Kendall Gomez for senior night.

Lucas Evans, Reporter

The volleyball season has come to a bittersweet end, especially for the seniors, as their final volleyball game as a high school student has come to a close.

The seniors were celebrated at the final home game of the season on Oct. 1. Team members recognized Brooklyn Dean, Kamryn Downs, Isabella Espinoza and Jayla Wilson with flowers and gifts.

“I’m sad the volleyball season has come to an end,” Downs said. “It has been a dream to play with [the team].”

“The team is like my family,” Wilson said.

And what a season it was, with both the coach and players saying they enjoyed themselves.

COVID-19 was yet again at play this fall, canceling games and putting players in quarantine, affecting the schedule and limiting the number of fans allowed in the gym for games.

“I am happy with the way the girls have pushed through another season of unexpected adversity as they continue to grow as volleyball players,” said coach Kendall Gomez. “This group of seniors has stayed positive throughout the entire season, despite setbacks.”

Even with the challenges they faced the team had some notable wins, including an exciting match against Harding Fine Arts. However, the team lost over half the games they played this season.

“The lows [of the season] are losing, I hate losing,” Wilson said.

Gomez put those losses in a different light.

For me, the most important thing is not the win-loss record at the end of the season, but it is the progress that has been made,” she said.