The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Student body reacts to dress code modifications

At the start of the 2013-2014 school year the HCP Administration once again was the source of many student complaints due to new additions to the dress code.

Although HCP’s dress code has always been a source of student agony, complaints were heard school-wide on the first day back when students found more specific rules in the student handbook. Principal Justin Hunt explained that the rules weren’t so much new, but were instead modified to be more specific.

“In the past we had tried to be general, thinking students wouldn’t push the envelope,” Hunt said.

Hunt said he soon discovered that it was simply wishful thinking, as students are likely to test boundaries, as in the case of custom spirit shirts. In the past students had been allowed to create their own HCP spirit shirts, which they could then wear on Fridays. This is no longer the case.

“How far is too far, how much is too much alteration? People push it too far,” Hunt said. “It’s just like if free clothes days are pushed, we’ll just get rid of them,” he continued.

The rules on belts, athletic shirts, sweat shirts and bandanas are among some of the other modifications to the dress code. Although belts have always been required, the rule was never strongly enforced.

“It’s enforced, but realistically we won’t know [whether there is a problem] unless their pants are falling down,” Hunt said.

Hunt said that the main goal of the rule was to ensure that students’ pants wouldn’t sag, and, like all rules in the dress code, and that students represent their school well. This was also the reason behind the specifications placed on athletic shirts and bandanas. The update to the clause about athletic shirts requires that members of a team all wear the same shirt. Hunt said this rule was modified so the team could show a sense of unity in their clothing and so faculty could better tell who was on the team.

As for the “Bandana Rule,” rumors swirled that the rule was set in place because bandanas can often be misinterpreted as gang-related clothing.

“I understand not being able to wear certain colors that are associated with gangs but a pink polka dot bandana is not gang related,” said sophomore Tayler Magby.

However Hunt quickly set that rumor to rest. “It’s not that we have a gang problem, it’s about not giving anyone the perception that we do. We want you to look like good little children,” Hunt said.

While the modifications seemed to have been annoying to the student body at first it seems as though most of the complaints have fizzled.

“It’s not that big of a deal after thinking about it,” said junior Zoey Workman.

”I don’t care. I think after all the stuff they let us get away with it’s a small price to pay,” said junior Anna Viviani.

View Comments (3)
Donate to The Marionette
$585
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Harding Charter Preparatory High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.