Donating Confidence

Kate Williams sports a new, shorter haircut while working in the library with her history class.

Isis Frazier

Isis Frazier, Reporter

Many children suffer from conditions that can cause hair loss such as Alopecia, chemotherapy and even burn accidents.

These children often face being teased at school and lowered self esteem. These children go through things that can change the way they see themselves in the long run. To help these children feel more confident, special organizations accept donations of real human hair to turn into wigs for the kids.

HCP actually has a special person that donates her own hair consistently to help the cause.

And that person is freshman Kate Williams.

Williams began contributing to Locks of Love in kindergarten when her teacher donated. Locks of Love is a non-profit organization that donates hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children under the age of 21.

“I thought it was really cool and what it was raised for,” Williams said about the organization.

Recently, Williams just donated her shoulder-length hair.

“What’s going through my head is that it’s for a better cause,” Williams said about cutting her hair.

Now, Williams is strutting a pixie cut with confidence.

“Even if I don’t like the hairstyles, it’s just hair and it can grow back. I plan on growing it out more,” she said. Williams sees the donations as a positive and helpful thing rather than a burden and with each donation, she is helping another child in need.

If you or a friend is interested in donating your locks to an organization like Locks of Love, check out the links below. Each organization has its own requirements.

Locks of Love

234 Southern Blvd.

West Palm Beach, FL 33405-2701

Other similar organizations and donation addresses:

Pantene Beautiful Lengths

Attn: 192-123

806 SE 18th Ave.

Grand Rapids, MN 55744

Wigs for Kids

24231 Center Ridge Rd.

Westlake, Ohio 44145