Junior accepted to prestigious school

William Mlekush works in his Speech and Debate class.

Isis Frazier

Isis Frazier, Reporter

It’s not every day a teenager gets to realize a dream. For junior William Mlekush, the opportunity to study at a very special college was his dream. And for Mlekush, dreams really can come true.

The United World College has 15 campuses around the world and provides a transformational and challenging education to more than 9,000 students per year.

Their mission statement is to use education as a force to unite people, nations and cultures for peace and a sustainable future. Along with this they promote the values of international and intercultural understanding, celebration of difference, respect for the environment, personal responsibility, integrity and challenge, mutual responsibility and respect, compassion, service, a sense of idealism, and action and personal example.

To be able to go to one of these UWC campuses, students must apply for the Davis Scholarship.

Mlekush was awarded with this prestigious scholarship, worth around $50,000, and will be traveling to Montezuma, NM with 24 other outstanding students for his senior year.

The Davis Scholarship pays for lodging and tuition for 50 students in the world to go to one of many United World College campuses. Twenty-five students go to a campus worldwide.

While Mlekush applied for the scholarship last year, he didn’t receive it. He decided to apply again and this time, he succeeded. After going through a Skype interview then an on-site interview, Mlekush received an email that notified him of his acceptance to the United World College’s USA campus.

“I was in my car so I screamed really loud and sort of started crying because I was really happy,” he said.

The goal of UWC is to unite people through education. Along with this, they stress the importance of doing good things in the community, so therefore they have a lot of community service projects.

Alumni from the UWC Atlantic College in Europe has recently built a refugee rescue boat for refugees whose boats were starting to fail in the Mediterranean Sea.

Mlekush admits that his family has mixed feelings about his acceptance.

“They’re both kind of upset, at the same time they’re proud of me and supportive of me, but they’re upset because I’m leaving because, you know, normal separation issues,” Mlekush said. “My dad was definitely happy to find out I was going to the USA campus, and not somewhere around the world.”

Up to the time of his departure, Mlekush is preparing for his leave in a multitude of ways, such as buying lots of warm clothes and spending more time with people that he hasn’t in the past couple of years.

Other than that, Mlekush must fulfill the expectations of the UWC and finish this year out with a high GPA. Otherwise, they will revoke his scholarship.

“Most of my preparation is continuing to do what I’m currently doing.”

Once he goes there, besides constantly studying, Mlekush plans on continuing to take piano lessons and getting involved with the farming program and the wilderness program, along with some other activities.

With that, Mlekush will continue to work hard during his last year at Harding for a future full of opportunities.