Presidential Premonitions

Natia Lewchuk, Reporter

Mystic or Valor? Instagram or Vine Snapchat? Orange is the New Black or Stranger Things? High school students are facing many different choices this year. However, perhaps the most consequential occurs on Nov. 8:

Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump?

Regardless of what you think of their policies or the candidates themselves, come Nov. 8 the country will face an important decision.  

Here at Harding, the student body is relatively engaged in the government process according to an informal poll of 150 students from various grades and backgrounds.

Of those polled, Clinton is clearly in the lead at 70 votes.

30 people voted for the option “neither candidate,” and Trump came in third with 24 votes.

AP European History teacher Kyle Malzahn offered his own explanation for why the candidates have such high unfavorable ratings.

“[The parties] have lost their way and their purpose. They’re both out for self-gain, and I don’t see that being a benefit to the American people,” Malzahn said.

Johnson finished with 15 votes, ten said they did not know, and one person voted for Stein.

“Historically third parties have struggled to have strong showings. It’s difficult for third parties because you have so many finances wrapped up in it,” said AP US History teacher Amanda Johnson. “People shouldn’t treat [the election] like a joke. You need to get serious about it.”

Are you an undecided voter? Check out ProCon to see what the 2016 candidates think about major issues.