Teacher receives Impactful Teacher Award

Lily Waswo, Reporter

A Harding Charter Prep teacher was recently recognized by News 9 as being an “impactful teacher” after being nominated by a person very close to her.

Cherith Ferguson, who teaches AP English Literature and Composition, Creative Writing and Creative Writing About Film, was nominated by her husband, Michael Ferguson, during an emotional time for many.

“I was thinking of ways to try to boost people’s morale, especially after the presidential election, and I noticed that a lot of people seemed to be looking for hope…and so I just searched ‘nominate student’ and ‘nominate teacher.’ And I know that…Mrs. Ferguson is impactful to me especially because she’s the reason I decided to be a teacher,” Michael said.

Although the two are married, the nomination came as a huge surprise to Cherith. Michael had nominated her without telling her.

When the day came, the giant check had not arrived on time and Michael had to stall her.

“We went to his room and he ate a banana and I was like ‘what the flip is happening’ and then he drank a water bottle. It turns out he was stalling because the giant check hadn’t arrived yet and the news crew was just waiting and Dr. (Mylo) Miller kept texting ‘stall, stall!’ We went down there and they still didn’t have a giant check. I saw the news crew and I thought ‘I’d better go around them because they’re obviously waiting for someone’ and then they all looked at me. That’s when I knew something was up,” Cherith said.

Cherith said she loves all aspects of her chosen career of English education.

“Interacting with literature, reading and analyzing, I love all that. And the relationship with students and building up that relationship and sort of mini-mentorship that comes from dealing with teenagers all of the time,” Cherith said.

Upon receiving the award, Cherith felt “really honored and happy, I guess because teaching can be kind of thankless so it was nice to have a moment where a teacher was recognized.”

According to the News 9 website, “Impactful Teachers leave a lasting, positive impression on their students forever. Winners will be recognized throughout the 2016-2017 school year for the difference they are making in the lives of Oklahoma children.”

Watch Cherith Ferguson’s reaction here: Impactful Teachers

To nominate a teacher, click here: Nominate Teacher