The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Student body celebrates diversity with food, assembly

Sherrill Marble
Baklava was served on Friday to the student body. The honey-sweetened flaky pastry represented the country of Greece.

In a school with a diverse population, it is important to celebrate all the different cultures represented in the student body. In late January, the student council recognized that importance by organizing food tastings, decorations and an assembly for Multi-Cultural Week.

“The goal for Multi-Cultural week at HCP is to expose students to different cultures in many forms throughout the week,” said senior Darcy McTiernan.

Every culture is different regarding how they cook, sing, dance, speak, live and dress. STUCO started the week by celebrating various cultures through food. Three different traditional dishes were provided for a small cost during lunch: sushi on Wednesday, fried spinach and gulab jamun on Thursday and baklava on Friday.

During the assembly there were speakers and performers that represented different cultures from across the globe. The following speakers and performers included: Ennie He Neely who was born and raised in China and sang two Chinese songs, Senior Alistair Connell’s mom Clytie Bunyan-Connell who was born and raised on the island of Trinidad and Tobago and Bobby Walters, freshman, who was born and raised in India.

“My father, mother, and brother and I came to America to have a better education in the United States,” Walters said.

The Flamenco Fantastico dancers from Everything Goes Dance studio performed two dances: Espana Cani and Pasion Interna.

“Flamenco is a genre of Spanish music, song, and dance from Andalusia in Spain that includes singing, guitar playing, dance and handclaps,” said junior Saibra Journey.“The dances performed were traditional Spanish dances celebrating the bull fights which are very popular sporting events in Spain and many Latin American countries.”

Lastly, dancers from the Oklahoma Academy of Irish Dancers performed two dances.

“The whole week itself was fantastic and very diverse, and I cannot wait to see what next year’s multicultural has in store for us,” said sophomore Callie Struby.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Marionette
$585
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Harding Charter Preparatory High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.