The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Ready, set, debate!

HCP Speech and Debates State Finalists: (from left to right) Garrett Eakers, Jorja Rose, and James Williams.
Cailey Gray
HCP Speech and Debate’s State Finalists: (from left to right) Garrett Eakers, Jorja Rose, and James Williams.

Speech and Debate helps build students’ critical thinking and communication skills. It teaches them how to explain their ideas in diverse ways and perspectives.  

Here are some of the things you will learn about in Speech and Debate at HCP. 

Speech and Debate is a class where students will learn the basics of speaking and argumentative skills offered by the Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association and will be given the option to compete in tournaments.

The team will compete in several different tournaments, participating in events like Extemporaneous Speaking, where each student is given 30 minutes to prepare a speech about a topic relating to a current event. There are also debate events such as Congressional Debates where students act as a senator or representative and write and debate bills using Roberts Rules of Order. Students will also have the option of participating in more dramatic speech events, like humorous duet or monologue.

“There’s really something for everyone, and I’m excited to see where we are going with it,” said coach Sierra Paul. 

There will be three tournaments per semester this year, giving some of our students the chance to qualify for districts, regionals and even state. Last year senior Mae Caudle qualified for state. 

I’d recommend speech and debate because it teaches you important life skills like public speaking, logical reasoning and how to be a good teammate,” Caudle said.

If you or someone you know is interested in joining the Speech and Debate team, please email Sierra Paul at [email protected]