The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

90s fashion trends hit the racks, schools

Lauren Edmond
Freshman Heidi Rivera models her 90s-inspired floral skinny pants with a flowing tank and leather jacket.

Fashion trends come and go, and currently, 90s fashion trends has made their way back into teenagers’ wardrobes, in all their floral-patterned glory.

Current trends include: high waist jeans and shorts, combat boots, snapback and beanie hats, tie front button up shirts, tie front head bands and Oxford shirts.

At HCP there is a uniform dress code, but the students are allowed out of uniform occasionally, and normally the girls are more than likely to out-dress the boys.

“In reality, it is basically the ladies bringing the 80s and 90s fashion back in full force, because the men can only wear so much such as hats, shirts and jackets,” said sophomore Immani Finney.

Teachers have noticed the 90s trends slowly showing up throughout the student body. Some find it fascinating, more so for the teenagers than the adults though.

“I think it’s good just for the teenagers, because if you lived through a trend the first time you shouldn’t wear it the second time,” said senior capstone teacher Elizabeth Silver.

Although the 90s trends are popular, wearing them can be tricky. For example, wearing button down shirts can present some challenging options for girls. Instead of wearing a button down shirt with baggy jeans and combat boots, wear it with jeggings or a skirt to dress it up a bit. If the shirt is sheer, you can wear a complementary color camisole underneath to make the outfit more interesting.

If your wardrobe is filled with mostly solids try to brighten your outfits with the floral look this spring and summer. Switch out your normal solid pencil skirt with a printed cotton sateen floral one, and pair it with a solid tee and cotton blazer. If you want to tone down your floral outfit, try topping a floral dress with a cool jacket or vest. And the most important tip about floral patterns is to remember that bright colors draw more attention and width to the figure.

Get your 90s fashion fix now, though, as fashion trends never last long, a fact which is encouraging to Silver.

“I look forward to the day that boys start wearing pants that actually fit properly, and don’t make them look like they are wearing adult diapers,” Silver said.

View Comments (2)
Donate to The Marionette
$585
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Harding Charter Preparatory High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.