The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Harding’s seniors and the college question

As their futures loom over the horizon, Harding’s seniors are having to make one of the most important decisions of their lives; deciding where they want to attend college.

The factors which determine where the individuals in the class want to go vary. Different colleges offer different advantages to their students. Even for those who know what they want to major in have a number of schools to pick from.

“As I was searching schools, I looked for schools that had good programs in architecture,” Jonathan Sterns said. “I’m really only looking at Oklahoma State if I stay home, but if I go out of state I would like to go to either Auburn University or Baylor University.”

Other students are looking for the best of both worlds, giving their attention to schools that not only fit their academic pursuits, but that cater to their ideal campus life as well.

“I’m interested in Murray State University because they have an excellent gunsmithing program, and they’re a small school,” Zach Borba said.

Some senior’s directions are driven by more personal reasons.

“In a perfect world, [I would like to go to] University of Massachusetts,” Yesenia Martinez said. “I want to get as far away from my family as possible.”

There are those who aren’t sure where they want to go. Despite this, uncertainty isn’t stopping them these students from looking for their perfect pick, they still aim to narrow the search for the school that fits them best.

“I’d like to go somewhere in the northeast, like Pennsylvania,” Noel Wellman said. “I’m unsure where to go out of state, there are so many different options. Some people have that college. I don’t.”

While some seniors are sure about what they wish to major in, choosing between going to a school in Oklahoma or one outside of the state is tough. Some students see it as a matter of cost and convenience.

“Going to an in-state college would be better financially for me, and I would be a lot closer to home,” Chase Busick said.

Those students who don’t mind the cost have their sights set on out of state universities. The inconveniences presented to them are worth the chance to attend where they want to go.

“My family has a saying,” Sterns said. “Don’t limit yourself to what you think you can do, but go above and beyond what you know you can do.”

View Comments (2)
Donate to The Marionette
$585
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Harding Charter Preparatory High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.