The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

What will Harding do for me?

Editor Emma Attig catches up with former Eagles to find out how school shaped their future
Dids
HCP students struggle to find the meaning behind all the hard work and struggle in an Advance Placement school.

As students at Harding trudge through their extensive and rigorous courses, they tend to lose sight of what the hard work they do now will do for them in the future. Freshmen feel like they are drowning in work, and seniors are tired of the intensive work times and lives outside of school with only a few more months to go.  

Harding’s vision statement is, “Prepare all graduates for success at any post-secondary educational institution,” on HICD. This might be the outcome, but what do you have to go through to get there. Is it worth it? 

Xavier Rhone graduated from HCP in 2019, and recently earned his bachelor’s degree in journalism from the University of Oklahoma. He is currently pursuing a second bachelor’s degree in African American Studies. “My freshman year at HCP was harder than any of my years of college,” Rhone said.  

Skyla Parker graduated from HCP in 2016 and has then completed a bachelor’s in public relations at the University of Oklahoma and currently a coordinator for Paycom. Parker said, “Harding set me up for success and almost mirrored my freshman year at the University of Oklahoma.” 

Harding curriculum and tendencies on the after-high school life go beyond just curriculum and academics.  

“Harding taught me how to interact with people who think differently from me,” Rhone said. 

Harding teaches students how to interact and thrive in diversity, that not everyone will have the same life, culture, opinions, or beliefs. Rhone and Parker both said that this was something other kids did not have, and they did not realize it until they got to college.  

“I did not understand it at the time, but Harding was more diverse than I realized. It gave me the ability to interact with people from different lives and backgrounds,” Parker said. 

“[Harding gave me the ability to] explore my curiosity, giving me the confidence to pursue more things than I would have felt comfortable with,” Rhone said. “And to be able to form critical thought and be audacious with it.”   

Harding creates ambition and curiosity to go beyond what you think you can do, opening you to many more opportunities in life.  

“Embrace the day to day,” Rhone said. “It is an exceedingly difficult hard AP [Advanced Placement] school. It is a hard school to go attend. But embrace the challenge and it will make you who you are and help guarantee your success.” 

Take advantage of the time you have, Rhone said. 

“This might be the last time your teachers and peers are set to help you succeed.” 

Harding can seem overwhelming, but your hard work will pay off. “Even though it seems really hard and pointless right now or that the hard work isn’t worth it, try to savor this time in high school,” Parker said, “There will never be another time in your life with this little responsibility. Take advantage of this time.” 

Harding Charter Prep is a rigorous and challenging school. None the less, take advantage of it. There is a reason colleges are impressed when they see it on your transcript. Make the most of it, embrace the day to day.