The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Song review: ‘Vampire’ by Olivia Rodrigo

via spotify.com
via spotify.com

Previously published on OIDJ.org.

Guts” by Olivia Rodrigo comes out Sept 8. Rodrigo recently released the first single off this album called “Vampire.”

I have been a fan of Rodrigo since she was on the Disney show Bizardvark. I continued to follow her work as she starred on the Disney+ show High School Musical: The Musical: The Series.

Since the release of Rodrigo’s debut album “Sour”, many fans, including myself, have been desperately waiting for new music.

I fell in love with “Vampire” the first time I heard it. It has been on repeat ever since.

I’m not a huge fan of the first verse. During my first listen I thought the song would be a sad and more quiet song, almost like “Favorite Crime” and “Traitor” from “Sour”. The start of the second verse totally changed the song for me.

At the start of the second verse, the beat drops and she sings with so much emotion. Her high notes on this song are immaculate. I really feel like Rodrigo has vocally improved so much since she released her first album.

The harmonies after Rodrigo sings “How do you lie? How do you lie? How do you lie?” gave me chills.

My favorite part of the song is the bridge. I feel like the bride of a song can either make the song amazing or completely ruin it. The bridge of “Vampire” made my jaw drop.

“You can’t love anyone, cuz that would mean you have a heart.”

In the song, I think Rodrigo is calling out someone who used her, maybe for her fame? She compares them to a bloodsucking vampire who wants fame.

I feel like the music video is well made too. In past social media posts, Rodrigo has shared her love for the “Twilight” films. I like how the beginning of the music video reflects on that.

The music video shows Rodrigo singing at a show when the light system crashes down on her. After that she gets chased around the city by police.

This music video has various references to other things as well. An article from Insider dives into the meaning behind every reference made in the video.

Overall, this is my new favorite song from Olivia Rodrigo. I can’t wait to see what the rest of the album brings.

I give “vampire” 10/10 purple butterflies.

Listen to “vampire” here:

Spotify

Apple Music

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Marionette
$585
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Harding Charter Preparatory High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.