The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Harding JCL travels to convention

Harding’s JCL represents Oklahoma at Junior Classical League national convention.

Junior Classical League president Rachel Wood and advisor Joshua Higginbotham traveled to the JCL national convention at Wake Forest University with 18 other JCL representatives from around the state, leaving July 24th and returning back the 31st. At the convention the Oklahoma JCL team participated in several actives including, completions, lectures, and the favorite daily general assemblies.

The general assemblies served as a way to get everyone pumped for the day. During the assemblies states competed for spirit awards. The way to get spirit points varied from day to day as each day was based on different theme.

“We won first place one day by following the judge around all day staring and pointing at them,” Wood said.

Other activates included student competitions like Latin dramatic interpretation and Certamen. Wood received seventh place in the nation for her dramatic interpretation. Though the team did not place in the Certamen competition, both Wood and Higginbotham enjoyed it.

“Just to say Certamen is a Latin quiz bowl would not do it justice,” Higginbotham said. “It is far more completive than academic bowl.”

Higginbotham also enjoyed a seminar about careers with a degree in classics. Latin professors discussed what it is like to be a Latin scholar. Wood also enjoyed it because she is considering getting a degree in classics.

“I always have people asking me what I plan to do with a classical degree, this helped me actually see what it is like to,” Wood said.

Overall as a state, the Oklahoma JCL team won fourth in membership.

“It was hinted that we got that because of Harding making a JCL,” Higginbotham said.

Higginbotham’s trip was paid for by the Oklahoma JCL, due to the lack of male sponsors and that it was his first time going. Though the Oklahoma JCL will not pay for the next trip, Higginbotham still hopes to attend next year. Also, though Wood enjoyed the convention as well she wants someone else to have the same experience, which is why Harding’s JCL is currently raising money in hopes of sending someone else to the next national convention.

With the knowledge from other JCLs around the nation both Higginbotham and Wood predict to have a stronger JCL and do more actives. All interested are encouraged to join.