The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Nekrogoblikon: A Review

Ajax Buxton
The music of goblin-metal group Nekrogloblikon is unique, along with their stage presence.

When most people think about metal as a music genre, they most likely think about bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Korn, or something along those lines – and while these bands are all pillars of the metal community, each taking their chance to define the genre in their own ways, there’s one band out there forging the way for a new sub-subgenre of metal: goblin death metal. That band is Nekrogoblikon. 

The band made its way onto the metal scene in 2006, when they released their first album entitled “Goblin Island.” While the album may not be their best, it was an excellent and delightfully silly beginning to a legendary sound and laid the foundation for their future endeavors. In 2012, they released a music video of the song “No One Survives,” from their second album, “Stench.” The music video went viral, bringing Nekrogoblikon as close to fame as they have ever been. They continued to release albums, my personal favorite being “Welcome to Bonkers,” which was released in 2019. The album is bursting with their typical energetic and weird sound, with such songs as “The Many Faces of Doctor Hubert Malbec,” “Dressed as Goblins,” and my personal favorite, “Dragons.” The band released their latest album, “The Fundamental Slimes and Humours,” in 2023, which was a major hit with the fans (me included – I recommend the songs “Bones,” “This is It” and “Supernovas.”) 

The band has a very distinct sound; while they fit well into the genre of melodic death metal, their harsh vocalist has a most definite goblin-esque quality to his singing, and they make extensive use of a very electronic sound as well. These, plus a few other aspects, blend to make a sound that’s simultaneously comedic and epic, brutal and lighthearted.  

I recently went to see Dethklok perform live at the criterion here in OKC. The show was fantastic, and delightfully brutal. I, however, was primarily there for the opening act: Nekrogoblikon would be starting the show. Unfortunately, they only played five songs, but it was well worth the tickets. They delivered those songs better than, I believe, any of the following acts. That’s partially thanks to their clean vocalist/hype man, John Goblikon- the band’s very own goblin. (See attached image. He’s the green one.) He would run around the stage, wreaking havoc and acting generally feral, all while displaying his impressive vocal abilities. 

With a distinct sense of humor and an impressive sound, Nekrogoblikon have made their mark on the metal genre, and defined it in new and extraordinary ways.