Volleyball ends successful season

Volleyball ends successful season

Hannah Malzahn, Reporter

The volleyball team made school history this past year and ended a successful season this past week.

The girls went to the playoffs and won their first match-up against Seminole. However they fell short to Christian Heritage Academy, ending the Lady Eagle’s season.

Athletic Director Mylo Miller is impressed with how the girls performed at the playoffs.

“They gained a valuable experience because they played the number one team in the state [Christian Heritage Academy] and they will learn from that and grow,” Miller said. “We have a young team and a bright future.”

The girls ended the 2014 season with the most amount of winning games in school history.

“They accomplished a little bit of history this year,” Miller said. “The OSSAA recognized the girl’s for their academic achievements as well which made a fantastic way to end the season.”

Volleyball coach Kyle Malzahn was pleased with how the girls performed throughout their season.

“They went above and beyond last year’s team, and they have surpassed any team that Harding has ever produced in its 11-year history,” Malzahn said.

Sophomore Layne Cates is proud of how the team performed throughout the season.

“I think that this year went really well because everyone played to the best of their ability and we played together,” Cates said.

Malzahn is excited to see the team make further improvements to help progress the team.

“Next year, they are going to have to double their efforts because their schedule is going to be four times harder with tougher opponents,” Malzahn said. “I would like to see them win a state championship, but it is going to take a lot of hard work and dedication.”

Cates is also looking forward to future seasons for the team.

“I think that we can win some, if not most, of the tournaments that we play in,” Cates said. “The team is headed in a positive direction.”