Disappointing performance at tournament leads to losses

The boy’s lack of focus and energy led to their first loss of the season.

Hannah Malzahn, Reporter

The basketball teams competed at the Hubcity Classic Basketball Tournament in Clinton this past weekend. The boys had a rough time at the tournament and lost their winning streak after an 11-0 season. Overall, the boys placed 4th at the tournament.

“The boys underperformed,” Athletic Director Mylo Miller said. “They lost their focus over the winter break, and so now they need to get back on track this semester and regain their focus.”

Senior Carus Newman was disappointed with how the team performed at the tournament.

“I think that we lacked enthusiasm in the first two games and we let the refs dictate how we played,” Newman said. “We did not play our own game and played into the other team’s hand.”

Despite the boy’s performance this past weekend, the team has an optimistic attitude and is ready to improve.  Newman has a plan to help start those improvements.

“We could improve on our defense and bring our energy early rather than realizing it when it is too late, and also bringing each other up by having less negativity,” he said.

The girl’s team broke their losing streak and won their first game after four losses at the tournament.

Senior Tyra Owens was pleased with the positive outcomes from the weekend.

“In the first two games, we did not play that well and then we got it together for the last game,” Owens said. “I feel like we came together better as a team because we bonded more and it helped us perform better.”

Miller was also pleased with how the girl’s played together this past weekend.

“We were pleasantly surprised with how the girls performed this weekend,” Miller said.

The girl’s team is ready for the rest of the season and Owens is ready for the team to continue to improve.

“I think that we need to get better as individuals,” Owens said. “We also need to be more mentally tough because we are thinking about it too much and we need to not stress out.”

The next game that the eagles play at is Homecoming this Friday against the Star Spencer Bobcats.