The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The Summer I Turned Pretty: Book or Movie?

Long summer days, swimming, and a girl who is stuck between two boys, “The Summer I Turned Pretty” by Jenny Han is not only a show but a book series. Both the book and the show keep you wanting more, if you love romance and drama you will like “The Summer I Turned Pretty.” 

“The Summer I Turned Pretty” is about Isabell (Belly) whose family goes to a beach house with the Fisher family for the summer. She’s been every year since she was little because her mom and Susannah, the mother of Jeremiah and Conrad, have been best friends since they were young. Belly has had a crush on Conrad ever since she was little, and her crush had been encouraged by Susannah because she always imagined Belly marrying one of the boys.  

This year because of her brand-new look, Belly decided that this would be her year to try to peruse Conrad but through her attempt, she discovers that Jeremiah has had a crush on her for years. With both boys on her mind, she goes through the summer trying to figure out her feelings and in book 2 we see Jeremiahs perspective when belly and her look for Conrad and book 3 we see Conrads’s perspective when Belly is getting ready to marry Jeremiah.  

All three books overall are an emotional rollercoaster as you read about Belly and her indecisiveness about which boy she loves. Since there are two love interests fans of both the books and the show have split into teams, arguing as to whom would be a better fit for Belly, some even saying she shouldn’t choose either and be by herself. 

If you have watched the show before reading the book, be mindful that while similar the book is way more detailed and in-depth to the actual show and they changed the show a bit to favor Belly’s certain love interest.  

You can buy the book from any bookstore or Amazon and the show is on Amazon Prime Video with a subscription.