The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Mystery or Romance? The tragic pull between of ‘Stay Close’

A+thriller%2C+mystery%2C+and+romance+there+is+no+in+between.+
Emma
A thriller, mystery, and romance there is no in between.

Harlan Coben is a well-known mystery and thriller writer. Through creative depiction and very vivid imagery, Coben creates a novel mystery readers can’t pass up. In his novel, “Stay Close,” released in 2012, Coben does just what he is known for in the best way possible.  

Stay Close is based around the main character Megan Pierce-Shaw, also known as Cassie, and the troubling murder of her abuser, Stewart Green, from 17 years ago. As new cases arise and there is a suspicion that Green was only a victim of a serial killer and carefully targeted, the search for justice begins. Detective Micheal Broome offers a comfort and challenging friendship to Shaw, while they search for the true killer.  

The jump from suspect to suspect, past love interests and friendships dig up old graves and bring emotions to the top, threatening current relationships and families. Despite heartache and loss Shaw is determined to find the truth, despite being threatened and found on the verge of death, she knows the killer isn’t who everyone thinks it is.  When the killer is revealed, shock reins through the reader. That reveal was truly unexpected.  

Through love, passion, the past, and power of words Coben creates a beautifully-crafted thriller novel to keep you on the edge, ending with a full circle moment. This novel is a thriller, keeping you on your toes. When you think you know who it is there is a turn in the plot leaving you analyzing yet again. I liked that it left me thinking about it even after I read the last page.  

I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone, and maybe I already have? It’s a good read that keeps your attention very well, with a plot that you can follow even through connection after connection.  

There is a tv-show of this on Netflix, which I wasn’t super fond of (since books are always different from the show). The book is available to purchase through Amazon.