The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Students pack food for Regional Food Bank

This year, students are grouping together even more to help out with the Regional Food Bank.

The Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma has experienced a drop in volunteers, totaling only 60 people for three weeks in August. Because of the shortage, the popular Food for Kids backpack program couldn’t be completed during those weeks.

“The food bank really needs people,” said Key Club member Phuong Nguyen. “A lot of kids weren’t able to have food.” Harding students are helping fill in for this shortage.

Sixteen members of Key Club had the opportunity to volunteer on Saturday 7. The AVID classes volunteered on the following Saturday.

The volunteers helped pack food for children who may only get to eat when they are at school. “It’s really easy,” said Key Club member Brooklyn Davidson. “It doesn’t take you the whole day, and they offer you snacks.”

It also gave the club members the opportunity to work as a team. “Everybody worked together and helped each other out,” Nguyen said.

Harding students encourage more people to start volunteering at places like the Regional Food Bank. “You are changing people’s lives when you just give a little time into helping other people,” said AVID member Bobby Walters.

There are other opportunities for the public to volunteer as well. The Regional Food Bank is holding a “Rock ‘n Box” night. Volunteers will help pack food for families in need and, afterwards, enjoy a night of karaoke.

The Key Club members who volunteered on September 7 were: Jayme, Talia Alexander, Layne Cates, Akayna Cobbs, Brooklyn Davidson, Tyler Fails, Yesenia Galicia, Hope Gtierrez, Miriam Moran, Jessica Myers, Le Nguyen, Phuong Nguyen, Abbie Poss, Lexis Wargan, Logann Wyatt, Mallory Wyat.

The AVID members who volunteered on September 14 were: Zachary All,  Ashley Anderson, Jonathan Conley, Brenda Galicia, Yesenia Galicia, Dajajuan Griffen,  Samaiyah Harpe, Alma Hernandez, Alex Strain, Chris Tolliver, Bobby Walters.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Marionette
$585
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Harding Charter Preparatory High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.