The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Faculty receives large technology donation

At the start of the year, all teachers received and administrators received iPads to help enhance the classroom experience.

Carole Kelley, previous principal, gathered donations from anonymous donors before she left for Washington D.C.

The new tablets have helped by giving the teachers more options to use technology.

“I love them. Instead of me taking paper and pencil when I go to a class to evaluate a teacher, I can take my iPad and do everything right there and send an email right as I walk out the door,” Principal Justin Hunt said.

The use of the iPads in each class is up to the teacher’s discretion. The goal for getting them is to have the teachers completely comfortable with the technology.

“The great thing about it is, right now we have 36 educators out there with iPads that all have a different way of using them and we’re all going to share our different ways and we’ll all come to an agreement with how we can use them across the board,” Hunt said.

Meghan Whitney uses the iPad in her classes to take attendance, keep track of dress code violations, check mail, put in grades, and she uses the calculator and an app with the periodic table of elements.

“I wish Microsoft would develop a suite of apps for the iPad, but until then it is a tolerable addition to my computer,” said Whitney.

By using education deals and buying the devices in bulk, the school was able to knock off $4000 off the total price.

The iPads are the third generation dubbed “the new iPad” by Apple. The iPads also came with a Bluetooth keyboard and case.

View Comments (2)
Donate to The Marionette
$585
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Harding Charter Preparatory High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.