The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

STUCO thinks outside the box

With new members and a new sponsor, the student council is working together to come up with new ideas like never before, and they are planning on more changes for the rest of the year, too.

The first change people have probably already noticed is the suggestion box that now sits in the media center collecting the opinions of the rest of the student body.

“It’s been pretty successful,” said STUCO president, Ashley Medice. Some of the more positive suggestions like “Keep up the good work!” are now hanging in the room where the group meets. “We were so excited when got it,” Medice said. “We need more suggestions like that.”

The council has so far used it to determine what they are going to do about spirit week, and also for what they are going to start selling on Fudgy Fridays during lunch.

“We’re just going to sell a bunch of candy,” said STUCO secretary, Vy Ha.

So far, most of the suggestions have been for cinnamon rolls. One new thing is a bit more surprising. Once a month during each lunch, STUCO plan on singling out people with birthdays in that month to sing “Happy Birthday” and play maracas while placing sombreros and feather boas on them.

“It’s going to be cool. It’s going to be different,” Medice said. However, Not everyone in STUCO is convinced the birthday celebrations are a good idea.

“Some people are going to be uncomfortable with that,” said STUCO vice president, Logan Cates. STUCO still plan on going through with it, though. They are going to start with the months of August and September.

Justin Hixon, the new sponsor of STUCO, takes no credit in the group efforts. “My main job is to coordinate things with the state commission,” Hixon said. “It’s their job to organize things. The vast majority of ideas come from them.”

Medice attributes these changes to the group as a whole. “We have a lot of creative people,” she said, “I like to call it a collective effort.”

View Comments (2)
Donate to The Marionette
$585
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Harding Charter Preparatory High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.