About Emma Smreker

About Emma Smreker

Isis Frazier, Reporter

Long-time French teacher Sally Ziebell retired last May, leaving a position open. Emma Smreker has filled that position, bringing with her unique experiences after teaching in France.

Smreker is from Oklahoma and attended the University of Oklahoma.

“OU is a great school. My sister attended there so that’s kind of why I chose it, but they have a lot of great programs set in place for Oklahoma students that are looking for scholarships,” she said.

She previously taught abroad in France for a year and called it a “learning experience.”

“It was a lot of fun teaching in France. I got to fulfill a dream of mine of living and teaching  in France,” Smreker said.

Although she enjoyed her time in France, there were some differences between the education systems here and there.

“Teaching in France is very different,” she said. “The education system is a lot different, just the way classes are set up as well as grade levels. You have a lot more freedom in the United States.”

Smreker applied to HCP because she was looking for a job once she returned from France. Smreker and Spanish teacher Michael Kraus share a mutual friend who recommended the school to her.

Outside of school, Smreker likes to do yoga and pilates and she spends time with her black lab, Tucker. She loves all forms of ballet and dance.

“I really love dancing. I was a ballerina growing up,” she said. Smreker considers dance one of her passions. She also enjoys cooking, but for the most part, she loves to relax.