Students participate in summer arts camp

Elizabeth Brosius, Video Editor

Three students participated in the Oklahoma Summer Arts Institute at Quartz Mountain this summer. The Marionette took some time to sit with each of them to learn about the program and what the students did while at the camp.

Allegra Knight

Q: Why did you go to Quartz Mountain?

A: I went to Quartz Mountain for orchestra. I played oboe in the orchestra at Quartz Mountain.

Q: What did you learn?

A: I learned how to play in chamber music better, and how to play as a group in an orchestral setting better, and I met a lot of people, I learned about different kinds of people from around the state.

Q: Who instructed you?

A: I think it was Liz Tomorsky-Knott, I think that was what her name was.

Q: What was your favorite experience?

A: Probably playing in chamber music and being able to see the different kinds of art forms performed, like acting, photography, and just like seeing all the kids’ art forms and learning all about them, not just music. Because some of the music camps is just music, but at Quartz Mountain there were a whole bunch of different kinds of people.

Q: Would you go back, and why?

A: Yes, I would, because it was a wonderful experience, and it was a lot of fun, and I met lots of people that I’d get to see again.

Tristan Dow

Q: Why did you go to Quartz Mountain?

A: I went to Quartz Mountain because I like singing. It’s a fairly fun activity, and I wanted to learn more about how to sing better. I wanted to sing with more experienced vocalists.

Q: What did you learn?

A: I learned how to be much more confident with my singing, much better control with vowels, and pitch.

Q: Who instructed you?

A: Dr. Kevin Fenton instructed me.

Q: What was your favorite experience?

A: My favorite experience was probably the first concert we had.

Q: Would you go back, and why?

A: I think I would go back because I enjoy myself a lot, and I enjoy being with people who enjoy what I like doing.

Corvin Barlow

Q: Why did you go to Quartz Mountain?

A: I went for acting.

Q: What did you learn?

A: I learned a lot about voice, and how you have to project it, and a lot about body movement and body language. It was very helpful.

Q: Who instructed you?

A: I was instructed by Dean Irby .

Q: What was your favorite experience?

A: We went to a small county, or a small town, and we had to take notes on a random person, and when we got back we had to make a monologue, as being that person.

Q: Would you go back, and why?

A: Absolutely, it was a lot more fun than I thought it would be, and I made a lot of friends.