School board approves changes to student uniform code

Students now have the option of wearing polo shirts from any provider along with the traditional polo shirts with the school logo.

Emma Attig, Reporter

Student pose with popsicles after the annual back to school assembly.

As students walked into the school building for the first time in August, it did not escape notice that there were changes to the school uniform code.

Over the summer, the HICD Governance Board approved changes to the uniform code in order to make the uniform more accessible to more families as well as create a seamless flow from middle to high school for those in the HICD district. These changes came after Superintendent Steven Stefanick polled the faculty and families.

The main focus was to help “both schools feel valued and heard about traditions,” Stefanick said.

“[The Governance Board] looks for something that can be implemented fairly and consistently,” said HCP Board parent representative Lisa Boevers. As both a parent and a board representative, she said she was looking for “something affordable, and easy to understand and enforce.”

For the high school, a significant reason there was a push for change was the increase in detentions due to uniform code violations last school year.

“There were around 25-30 students in weekly detention, and approximately 80% of those were from dress code infractions,” said Principal Joe Hughes.

Another reason was to create unity between the middle and high school in the still-new district. Using this information and the feedback the board received, changes were made to make the transition easier for students coming from Independence Charter Middle School. 

“In order to not show favoritism and to create equality and a transition easy from ICMS to HCP, we had to take out the gray area,” Stefanick said, referring to continuity between the middle and high school in the young district.  

In the past, ICMS didn’t require logos on shirts or for them to be tucked in, but HCP required both. The board determined that tucking in shirts would be influential to ICMS to have an easier transition. In order to create more affordable uniforms for the HCP student body, logos would no longer be required. 

“I am looking for something amenable to students, drastic changes are not good for anyone,” Boevers said. In order to make small changes and to create changes that were critical, they created equal changes between schools.

Skirt and short length will stay the same as previous years. The school also updated its policy to no longer allow hooded tops of any kind, but team jackets will still be allowed on Fridays so students can express school spirit. In addition administration has brought back jean Fridays.

“This is my favorite change so far!” said junior Makhya Marshall.

Marshall also said she is pleased with the allowance of logo-free polos, the addition of new sweatshirt pullovers and the ease of getting dressed in the morning.

Students are permitted to wear khaki, navy, or approved plaid (skirts only) colored shorts, skirts, and pants. Any polo is allowed as long as they are hunter green, white, or black (seniors only). Belts, tucking in polos, and close toed shoes are required. The approved sweatshirts, skirts, and polos can be found on the district website, Harding Independence Charter District (hicduniforms.com)