The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Senior’s college basketball dream comes true

Senior Trey-Von Childs is greeted at the beginning of the HCP vs. Dove Tulsa game.
Sherrill Marble

Senior Trey-Von Childs is one step closer to his dream of playing professional basketball. Childs is currently talking with representatives from Manhattan Christian College about an opportunity to play for the MCC basketball team in Manhattan, Kansas.

As of right now Childs is not quite sure what the full offer entails because Manhattan does not offer “athletic” scholarships only academic scholarships and waivers. However Head Boys’ Basketball Coach Wade Wallace said that Childs will be playing for MCC’s basketball program and getting his degree from K-State no matter what.

Childs who has played on the Harding basketball team his entire four years here says that playing professional basketball has always been a dream of his. “I want to play professionally but before you do that you have to play college, so it is just one step closer to that dream,” Childs said.

The opportunity came late in the year, but Wallace was sure the offer would come through. “I did [anticipate the offer] although with his struggles in the classroom this year I wasn’t sure if it would happen, but after speaking with Coach Strom (MMC’s Assistant coach) I was confident that they would extend an offer to Trey-Von” Wallace said.

Childs said he is looking forward to the idea of playing college ball. “[It is] mind-blowing. That’s it really,” Childs said.

Childs say he is going to miss the attitude and atmosphere of high school sports. He is aware that the level of competition and skill is going to be more challenging, and that he is going to have to work to meet the expectations of college basketball. The one thing he hopes is that the students at MCC will participate. “Everyone here is a lot more involved, and I don’t know if they are going to be that involved there,” Childs said.

“I will miss him as well as my other seniors this year.  They are a fun outgoing group of young men that I love to be around,” Coach Wallace said of Trey-Von.

Manhattan Christian College will be coming during senior signing day to sign Childs’ letter of intent.]

“[He is] probably one of the most frustrating young men that I have coached, but I love him and have enjoyed watching him grow into the man he is” Wallace said of Trey-Von.