The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The Marionette’s October College of the Month is University of Chicago

Often times the decision of where to go to college can be intimidating to students, and even though HCP’s students are prepared beyond most students, they aren’t immune to the uncertainty, stress and often times fear that can come with choosing a college.

In an attempt to broaden the scope of colleges considered by HCP students, and highlight some colleges that students maybe don’t think about as much, the HCP Marionette is launching its new monthly story: College of The Month.

The College of The Month for October is the University of Chicago in Illinois. The University was founded in 1890 by the Baptist Education Society and John D. Rockefeller, and is comprised of a college as well as a number of graduate and professional schools. Notable alumni include former U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft, Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics recipient Milton Friedman, civil rights activist Jesse Jackson and former U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens. University of Chicago was also a founding member of the Big Ten Conference and in 1935 Jay Berwanger became the first Heisman Trophy winner. In addition two of the university’s professors, Eugene F. Fama and Lars Peter Hansen, have been awarded the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel 2013.

University of Chicago is ranked fifth by US News and World Report on its list of the best national universities. University of Chicago has also achieved high rankings from US News and World Report for many of its other programs as well:

2014 Statistics:

• 2013-2014 Tuition: $46,386 (tuition and fees)
  • 5,590 students enrolled
  • 53% male, 47% female
  • 13.2% acceptance rate
  • Student-faculty ratio: 6:1

At University of Chicago, 44.8 percent of full-time undergraduates receive some kind of need-based financial aid and the average need-based scholarship or grant award is $37,593. If students are interested in applying to University of Chicago the application fee is $75 and the application deadline is January 2, 2013. The early action deadline is November 1, 2013 with scores for either the ACT or SAT due January 26, 2014.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Marionette
$585
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Harding Charter Preparatory High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.