The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Holding companies accountable

Detaching the blame of the climate crisis from consumers, and holding companies accountable.
Pixabay – Pexels
Major fossil fuel producers are responsible for over 70% of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions.

“Living a sustainable lifestyle” is an idea that has grown in popularity over the last few years. It’s an idea that has received advocation from activists, it aims to help put a stop to the climate crisis. The issue that comes with this ideology, though, is that this movement targets individual consumers and not those truly at fault, corporations.  

Corporations have always been at fault when problems within our climate are created, they’ve just been better at hiding it. A study by AP News reveals that if they were to pay for the damages they’ve created 15,000 public companies would owe nearly 44% of their profits. Estimations reveal that billions would be owed nationally, and trillions on a global scale. Because of this, governments are implementing regulations attempting to reduce the amount of greenhouse gases released into the atmosphere. Corporations continue to use this to their advantage and are able to conceal the amount of emissions they contribute. As we continue to turn a blind-eye to this negligence, companies will continue to abuse their resources.

There are four main industries responsible for 90% of damages. These are energy, utilities, manufacturing of materials and transportation. A study from the Carbon Disclosure Project finds that 100 fossil fuel producers are linked to over 70% of greenhouse gas emissions. The biggest contributors to this emergency were China, India, the US, and the Europen Union, all together being responsible for 56% of harmful emissions in 2022. If this is the case, why must consumers be the ones to change their way of life? 

An example of one of the biggest issues that companies force consumers into creating is over consumption. They are constantly endorsing excessive purchasing of the products they’re selling, all for the sake of making money and completely ignoring the impacts it may create. After the consequences are exposed, they force consumers to rethink the habits that they created, establishing a never-ending cycle of blame. AP Environmental Science teacher Mark Stone said “I think corporations are more at fault. Consumers will continue to buy, but commercialized products educate people to do just that”.

It’s important for both sides to contribute effort into changing our ways, but one is capable of having a larger impact than the other. Consumers should be more wary about what motivates our decisions and understand the incentive behind advertisements. Sustainable lifestyles aren’t completely negative. They do have benefits and are capable of improving our environment, but those of us aiming to make enduring changes must start an effort to hold companies accountable. We should no longer feel guilty being told that we aren’t doing enough. That energy must target those who are capable of making genuine change but refuse to do so. Climate activism and science can only get us so far, but implementing policies We are all human, and we are only capable of so much.  

“It takes all of us, however, and consumers are not all on the same page based on needs, status, and other variables,” Stone said.