The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Community reacts to Boston bombing

Tragedy struck Boston on April 15, when two bombs exploded at the finish line of its annual marathon.

Reactions to the bombing have given people hope and the country has banded together to help the city in need. MIT lit up its Green Building with the American flag to show its support, Redditors from across the country donated money and organized a mass pizza delivery and local residents also helped to direct traffic in the city and opened up their homes to two stranded Koreans.

The tragedy that occurred a mere few days before the anniversary of the Oklahoma City Bombing reminded Oklahomans what happened and that the northern city was going to need support in the coming days and weeks.

“I think it’s very tragic for what it stands for, and at the run this year, I could see more people running in support for the memorial and for what had happened,” said counselor Joe Hughes, who ran in the relay portion of the Marathon with Dan Hounslow, Mylo Miller, Kate Ferguson and former math teacher Terri Burke.

The relay runners wore custom shirts to show support for the Boston victims.

Many people that ran in the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon ran in remembrance of the people injured at the Boston Bombing in addition to remembering the 168 people killed in the Oklahoma City Bombing.  Many of the runners in the marathon wore red socks to show support for the people affected by the Boston tragedy.

In an article on NewsOk.com about the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon, it said that “there were 24,752 runners from 47 states.”  That total included 10 runners who were on the Boston Marathon course when the bombs exploded and couldn’t finish the race. They were allowed to run Oklahoma City for free.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Marionette
$585
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Harding Charter Preparatory High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.