The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Sports lover joins administration staff

Sports lover joins administration staff

Candice Salters is the new assistant principal for the juniors and seniors. She previously taught in Midwest City coaching different sports.

Salters was a coach for ten years, and now being an administrator, she felt she could help kids on a different level than she could with coaching or teaching.

“Coaching deals with certain students, and also with teaching, but being an administrator deals with all of them,” Salters said.

All throughout her high school career, Salters loved sports and was the team captain for both the basketball and track teams. She ran on the relay team and sprinted. With track, she won two Back to Back Champion titles at Midwest City High School.

Salters was interested in sports from a very early age. In elementary school, Salters had to run a trial for a field day competition. Salters was wearing sandals and since her mother told her not to run in them, she chose to not wear the sandals and ran barefoot against the boys, beating them all despite the rough terrain and bare feet. Salters has been running ever since.

With all the fitness classes that she has taught, Salters got started coaching sports by realizing early on in college that nutrition is really important and she found out how to integrate nutrition with exercise.

Salters finds that learning students’ names would be a difficult part of her job.

Salters favorite subjects in high school were Anatomy and Kinesiology and in junior high, Salters played the clarinet and was the Drum Majorette for two years.