The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Effects of exercise on teens

Tirachard Kumtanom
Students who want to improve their mental health can utilize their local gym or don a pair of running shoes to work out. Regular exercise has been shown to not only improve cardiovascular and physical health, but also mental health, as well. Photo from Pexels

As teens face the inevitable hardships life brings, it can become overwhelming to keep up. With busy schedules and conflicts, it can be hard to create time for self-care. However, many teens have found a healthy outlet for mental and physical needs at the gym.  

The gym has become a safe place and a visual of change and progress for some teens, like former student Lincoln Smith. 

Seeing that progress every day that I went always gave me a positive takeaway from the day,” Smith said. 

Regular exercise does more for the body than just building muscle or endurance. There can be cognitive benefits, as well, according to the Mayo Clinic. 

Exercise also reduces the risk of depression, and helps teens feel more energetic and have a positive outlook on life,” said the Mayo Clinic. 

“It releases stress-busting endorphins and lowers the body’s production of stress hormones,” said Mayo Clinic.  

“Going to the gym can really boost your motivation, self-confidence, and mental health,” Smith said. 

Mental health is not the only thing that benefits from exercise, but also your future.  

One of the biggest benefits of regular exercise for teens is that it establishes a healthy habit that sets the foundation for a lifetime of fitness,” said the Mayo Clinic website. “Research shows that active children and teens become healthy and active adults.”  

According to Mayo Clinic  there are a few things that can be done to help motivate the teens to be active: 

• Be a good role model 
  • Seeing parents or family be active is motivating, especially when they make it a family priority.  
  • Make it interesting 
  • Make it fun and different with music, trying different things, and different environments.  
  • Create a daily routine 
  • Making small things like the stairs instead of the elevator or setting aside time to be active.  
  • Invite others into it 
  • Be social and creative with others. It doesn’t have to be boring; it can be social and fun.  
  • Encourage them 
  • Give your teen encouragement and guidance even when they might not think they want it.  
  • Tie it into other interests 
  • Go hiking to take photos, bike to the store, or take the dogs for a walk.  

How much exercise is needed? Read Health Line to see what amount of exercise is recommended.