The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

September cross country wrap-up

Sherrill Marble
Allegra Knight rests after winning a 5th place medal at the PC North meet at Woodson Park on September 11. Temperatures soared into the mid-90s, and coupled with an Air Quality Alert for the OKC metro area that day, the meet was difficult for the cross country runners. Despite the conditions, the girl’s cross country team was successful.

The cross country team has had a successful season so far, bringing home medals and pride. Coaches Jason Satwalekar and Steven Stefanick encourage their team to train smart for the win.

“Run smart, do not over train yourself. Your body needs rest because you can wear yourself down,” Satwalekar said.

This training mentality helped the cross country team during the hot meets early in September.

“Although it was very hot outside and I was extremely tired, I did my best and hard work paid off,” sophomore Allegra Knight said.

Both Knight and Busick have been running for quite some time, with Busick running track since the sixth grade and Knight playing basketball in middle school.

Knight also finds inspiration from a role model who is very close to her. “My brother received a scholarship when he ran cross country in high school, so that gives me more motivation to run,” Knight said.

Other members of the cross country team have been successful this season.

September results:

Southeast meet, Woodson Park, September 6: Allegra Knight, 23rd place, silver medal, 13:59. Chase Busicks, Finished in the top 10.

PC North meet, Woodson Park, September 11:  Allegra Knight, 5th place, gold medal, 13:31; Lydia Messiah, 6th place, gold medal, 13:36; Stephanie Moreno, 8th place, gold medal, 13:59.

Dog Pack meet, September 14: Chase Busick, 18th place in 5A and below division.

Piedmont meet, September 20: Allegra Knight, 13th place, silver medal, 14:48; Sabrina Dahn, 30th place, bronze medal, 16:01.

Cowboy Jamboree meet, September 29: Allegra Knight came in with the highest place for HCP girls but no medal received.

Allegra Knight and Chase Busick were announced as Athletes of the Week for the week of September 17-21 for bringing home at least one medal from each meet this season.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Marionette
$585
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Harding Charter Preparatory High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.