The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

It’s the great pumpkin spice latte, Charlie Brown!

A coffee-hater tries Fall inspired Starbucks drinks

I am on my journey to becoming a cool coffee girl. This Fall, I went out of my comfort zone and tried a few fall inspired drinks from Starbucks.  

Normally when I go to Starbucks, I order a strawberry acai refresher (I know, basic). 

After recommendations from friends and TikTok, I created a list of drinks I wanted to try during this pumpkin spice season.  

Here are my thoughts: 

#1: Spiced Apple Tea 

-Iced black tea with apple juice and two pumps of brown sugar syrup 

Grande “spiced apple tea” (Becca Jolly)

I found this one at GoldenDreamms on TikTok. It cost $4.22. This drink wasn’t bad at all, but it wasn’t anything special; it tasted like tea with apple juice. I feel like this is a good drink to transition from summer into fall. You still get that iced tea vibe, just with a slight hint of brown sugar. It’s good for the warmer fall days. I did finish the drink, but I don’t think I’ll order it again. 

Final Rating: 3/5 stars 

#2: Cinnamon Brown Sugar Latte 

-Iced cinnamon dolce latte with two pumps of cinnamon dolce and brown sugar (I ordered mine with cinnamon cold foam too) 

Grande “cinnamon brown sugar latte” (Becca Jolly)

This one is also from GoldenDreamms on TikTok. I was very nervous to try this one, mainly because of the price. It was $7.60 for a Grande. Usually I hate coffee, but I actually enjoyed this drink. It has a strong-ish coffee taste, but the cinnamon mostly overpowers it. This drink was extremely sweet. I feel like this is great for people who don’t like pumpkin spice. I will definitely order this one again. 

(I ordered this one again from a different Starbucks and it was super gross. I didn’t even finish it. Do better Will Rogers Airport). 

Final Rating: 3.5/5 stars

#3 Emma’s Order 

-Iced white mocha with vanilla sweet cream cold foam, six pumps of caramel syrup and extra caramel drizzle. 

“Emma’s order” in a Grande size (Becca Jolly)

This drink was recommended to me by Emma Attig, a fellow editor on the Marionette staff. She told me to try this one because it’s super sweet, without the strong coffee taste. This drink was overpriced, at $9.11, just for a Grande size. The drink itself was actually amazing, my favorite one so far. While it did have a strong coffee taste, the absurd amount of caramel overpowered it. I would order this one again if it was cheaper. 

Final rating: 4.5/5 stars 

#4 Fall in a Cup 

-Iced vanilla chai latte with pumpkin cold foam 

“Fall in a Cup” in a Grande size (Becca Jolly)

I found this one on Pinterest a while ago. It cost $8.14, a slight improvement from Emma’s’ Order. The drink smelled terrific; I think it was the pumpkin. I was scared to try this one because I have never had anything pumpkin flavored before. My first sip was spicy and creamy. It didn’t get much better from there. I forced myself to finish this drink. Chai lattes are just not for me. I feel like there are too many flavors to distinguish.  

Final Rating: 2/5 stars 

#5 Pumpkin Spice Latte 

-Plain iced pumpkin spice latte 

Tall “pumpkin spice latte” (Becca Jolly)

For my last drink, I decided to get the fall standard: a Pumpkin Spice Latte. I felt like this review would be incomplete without trying it. It was $5.45 for a tall. The first sip I took was absolutely disgusting. All I could taste was the coffee. After forcing myself to take another sip, I grew to like it better. The whole time I was drinking it, I kept asking myself “Where’s the Pumpkin?” This drink wasn’t terrible, but I wont be ordering it again. 

Final Rating: 2.5/5 stars 

Slowly, I think I’m starting to like coffee.  

Throughout my journey, I have learned one thing about being a cool coffee girl: Coffee is expensive!